Sexual Harassment | How an Attorney Can Help
Have you suffered sexual harassment at your workplace? Are you unsure of what to do about it? The best course of action is to call sexual harassment lawyers in Michigan and get professional help.
The definition of sexual harassment is uninvited sexual advances, a request for sexual favors, or other spoken or physical harassment sexual in nature. It can also include offensive remarks about a person’s gender.
The law does not consider it illegal to make offhand comments, simple teasing, or isolated incidents that are not serious. However, harassment becomes unlawful when it occurs so frequently or is so severe that it creates an offensive work environment, hostility results, or causes an adverse employment decision, such as the victim being demoted or fired.
The person causing the harassment can be the victim’s supervisor or manager, a supervisor in another location, a coworker, or a client or customer.
Types of Inappropriate Conduct
Some workplace conduct is obviously sexual harassment such as uninvited or inappropriate messages, catcalls, cornering someone in a tight place, making sexually implicit comments, and other forms of sexual assault.
There are also some more subtle forms of harassment. If they happen often enough or are serious enough to make someone feel intimidated, uncomfortable, or distracts them from their work, that too is harassment. Some examples are:
- Asking an employee about her or his sex life
- Circulating nude photos or near-nude photos of women or men
- Commenting on another’s attractiveness in front of an employee
- Discussing your sex life in front of an employee
- Leaving unwanted gifts of a romantic or sexual nature
- Making dirty or sexual jokes
- Repeated compliments about an employee’s appearance
- Repeated hugs or other unwanted touching
- Sending sexually suggestive emails or text messages
- Spreading sexual rumors about someone
It is never too early to speak with an attorney. If you are facing sexual harassment at work, or if you have questions about whether your situation constitutes sexual harassment, you should consult with an attorney. A skilled Saginaw harassment lawyer can help you determine the best course of action for your specific situation.
If you find that you have experienced any of the above situations, contact the harassment lawyers in Michigan at Gafkay Law PLC today. You need an experienced attorney to protect your rights.