Julie A. Gafkay
The mission of Gafkay Law is to help put an end to race and sex discrimination, sexual harassment, and retaliation of those who try to stop discriminatory or fraudulent practices.
Julie A. Gafkay practices law throughout the state of Michigan and is located centrally in Saginaw County, Michigan. She has practiced as an attorney in Michigan since 1995. Although the main focus of her practice is employment discrimination law, she also focuses on personal injury. Attorney Gafkay has won several high-profile cases for her clients. In 2013, she represented the plaintiffs in an action against a large hospital in Flint who granted a patient’s request for care based on race. The case received national attention. Since 2013, Attorney Gafkay has represented numerous clients who have been the victim of discrimination in the workplace based on a patient’s or customer’s request for White only employees. Attorney Gafkay is extremely passionate about seeing this type of discriminatory practice eliminated in our country and has represented clients outside of Michigan, including Oklahoma, in this type of case.
In a 2009 case, Ms. Gafkay represented a client whose fractured leg resulted from an auto accident caused by a negligent driver. The defendant’s insurance company offered a settlement of $100,000, which Ms. Gafkay and the plaintiff promptly rejected. She fought tenaciously for her client and won a more suitable judgment of $750,000 for the plaintiff.
She has served as President of the Saginaw County Bar Association and Women Lawyers Association of Michigan. Her years of experience and dedication to righting the wrongs of discrimination are testament to her total commitment to her clients.
Ms. Gafkay is also highly involved in her community. She is a member of the Frankenmuth Morning Rotary Club and contributes heavily to that organization’s charitable efforts. She completed her Bachelor of Arts at Michigan State University’s James Madison College in 1992 and finished her Juris Doctor in 1996 at Whittier College in California.
- November 8, 2018: presentation on FMLA, ADA and Worker’s Compensation: Navigating the Pyramid with Problem Employees in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- May 10, 2018: conducted workshop on the Family Medical Leave Act for Elite HR Professionals in Flint, Michigan.
- May 8, 2018: featured speaker on discussion of Whether Patient Rights Include the Right to Discriminate Based on Race, at Seattle University in Seattle, Washington.
- May 3, 2018 presentation on Attorney Checkup to the United Methodist Women in Frankenmuth, Michigan.
- Nov. 7, 2017: presentation on FMLA, ADA, and Workers’ Compensation: Managing Leave of Absence Issues in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Nov. 7, 2017: presentation on Monitoring Employees: Privacy Issues and Employer Risks in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- February 4, 2016: presentation on Understanding FMLA in Saginaw, Michigan.
- November 17, 2015: presentation on Human Resource Law from Start to Finish in Saginaw, Michigan.
Discrimination, Civil Rights, Age Discrimination, Race Discrimination, Gender Discrimination, Religious Discrimination, Sexual Harrassment, Whistleblowers’ Protection Act, Federal Employment Law, Family Medical Leave Act Claims, Americans with Disabilities Act Claims, Retaliation, Civil Litigation, Non-Competition/Covenant Not to Compete, Handbook drafting and review, Personal Injury, Michigan No-Fault, Automobile Accidents, Dog Bites, Wrongful Discharge, Contract drafting and review, LLC formation, and Operating Agreements.
- Michigan Women in Law (Michigan Lawyers Weekly), 2012
- Top 50 Women in Michigan, Thomas Reuters SuperLawyers list: 2015
- Saginaw County Bar Association Community Service Award, 2015
- Saginaw County Pro Bono Service Gold Award, 2016
- Thomas Reuters SuperLawyers list: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- 2018 Marquis Who’s Who World edition
- President, Saginaw County Bar Association, 2012-2013
- President, Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, 2017-2018
- President, Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Great Lakes Bay Region, 2009-2010
- Committee member, Gender Equity Committee
- Committee member, State Bar of Michigan Character & Fitness District Committee
- Committee member (Chair 2018-2019), United States District Court, Local Rules Advisory Committee
- Member, Michigan Association of Justice
- Sustaining Member, Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Member, Black Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Instructor, National Business Institute for Employment Law
- Adjunct Professor, Saginaw Valley State University, Advanced Human Resources, 2012-2013
- Frankenmuth Morning Rotary, 2008-present
- President, Frankenmuth Morning Rotary, 2011-2012
- Board of Governors, Frankenmuth Community Foundation, 2011-2019
- Board Member, Frankenmuth Farmers Market, 2013-2018
- State Bar of Michigan, 1995
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 1995
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1997
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan, 1998
- United States Supreme Court, 2010
- James Madison College at Michigan State University, B.A. in Political Theory and Criminal Justice, December 1992
- Whittier Law School, J.D., 1995