Verdicts and Settlements
Here are just a few examples of the verdicts and settlements Gafkay Law, PLC has obtained for clients.
- In 2015, a settlement of over $600,000 recovered for a physician who was fired in retaliation for complaining of fraudulent practices.
- In December of 2015, a jury verdict of $100,000 in Genesee County won for a hospital employee who was passed over for promotions after complaining of discrimination.
- Hundreds of thousands of dollars in settlements over the past several years won on behalf of African American employees in various positions in the medical field who have been discriminated against based on race because the employer has granted a patient’s racial preference for care. Gafkay Law, PLC represented the Plaintiffs in the highly publicized case of Battle, et al. v. Hurley Medical Center featured on the Katie Couric show which involved an African American nurse who worked in the neonatal unit of a hospital and a father requested that no African Americans care for his baby. The settlement resulted in policies being implemented by the hospital to ensure that racial requests for care are denied as well as a large monetary settlement.
- Federal jury trial in the Western District of Michigan involving a police officer discriminated against based on his disability. The jury awarded him one of the highest recorded awards for emotional distress damages in Michigan in the amount of $426,000.
- Federal jury trial in the Eastern District of Michigan involving claim under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Total award for economic damages, liquidated damages, and attorney fees was $413,363.29.
- Auto Accident settlement of $750,000 in case where the plaintiff suffered a broken femur and tibia. The most the insurance company offered to pay was $100,000. Gafkay Law was able to get over seven times that amount after bringing a lawsuit.
CONTACT US FOR A CONSULTATION